Monday, December 8, 2008

Ready for Honolulu: December 7, 2008

By Ross Forman

Let's look at things by the numbers:
* 385 Days.
* 9,240 Hours.
* 554,400 Minutes.
* 4 Marathons.
* 26.2 Miles per marathon.

I really can't believe it. I'm days away from running the annual Honolulu Marathon, without a fear in the world that I will finish the race.

When 2007 started, I never in my wildest imagination thought I could finish a marathon, let alone 3 in less than a year, or 4 within a 55-week span - with the numbers above corresponding to the dates of my first-ever marathon on Nov. 25, 2007, and the Honolulu Marathon, which is Sunday, Dec. 14. My how things change.

I joined the National AIDS Marathon Training Program during the Summer of 2007. I met new friends, trusted the program and its coaches, especially Katie, and, sure enough, I now have done something - finish a marathon - that only about 1 percent of the world does. I'm still shaking my head.

And as I prep for the Honolulu Marathon - which I will run with veteran Honolulu Marathoner Dell, and have my good friends Hector and JR also running - I am as confident as ever. I know this will be my best marathon ever, with my best time ever. No doubt better than Florence (Italy), Nashville (Tennessee) or Amsterdam, which is my marathon slate to date.

So what's next? I'm not really sure. I know I'll run somewhere in 2009. Probably more than one marathon. The question is, where? I want to run one in the spring, but I'm not sure I want to try the Nashville Marathon again in late-April, unless Jeff Jarrett or someone else from TNA Wrestling, based in Nashville, runs as well - or gives me motivation to try it again. I'd like to run one overseas as well, but where? I'm just not sure where. That's actually my biggest dilemma marathon-wise, where. Any suggestions?

If I've said it once, I've said it 100 times, or more, anyone can run a marathon, provided they are dedicated, determined and stick to a plan - be it the one offered by the National AIDS Marathon Training Program, or another training program. I know this first-hand.

So, as you start planning New Year's Resolutions, consider running a marathon in 2009 ... it can be done!!

No comments: