Friday, December 11, 2009

Next Stop: Honolulu

By Ross Forman

This whole Global Warming thing is now really getting under my skin.

When I ran the Bank Of America Chicago Marathon on Oct. 11, the temperature at start-time was 33 degrees. Jump ahead to the inaugural Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon in Las Vegas on Dec. 6, and the temperature when this event started near Mandalay Bay on The Strip was also in the mid-30s – and Vegas actually felt colder than Chicago.

Now, as I’m writing this, the thermometer here in Chicago reads 3 degrees. Well, at least that’s expected.

I’m a little nervous for this upcoming Sunday, Dec. 13, when I step to the starting line at the annual Honolulu Marathon … will be it be nice weather, or super hot, or rainy (like last year’s Honolulu Marathon), or, heck, is it gonna be frozen there, too?

Work with me a little, Mother Nature, please.

The Las Vegas Marathon was good, very well organized. It attracted about 25,000 runners from around the world with about 18,000 of them – me included – running the Half Marathon (13.1 miles). I ran with Darryn and John, and though Darryn didn’t set a Personal Record (PR), he finished with a good time. And I was pretty happy with my, ugh, coaching/pacing debut. Next time, though, I will have to yell at Darryn to push it since he finished about a minute past his PR.

The post-race meal was the buffet at the Paris Hotel. The food was OK and, obviously, plentiful, but those buffets are just not for me.

The Honolulu Marathon will be another 26.2-mile journey with my good friend Dell, who will be running the event for the 21st consecutive year. This is my second Honolulu Marathon and, provided it doesn’t get too hot, I think I will set a PR. Dell knows the goal and, unlike the way I coached Darryn, I’m sure he will yell at me to push it for the PR.

I can’t wait.

I’m not sure of the running slate for 2010. That doesn’t need to be decided until New Year’s Eve. I’m just one of those people who, come Jan. 1, will want to start, er, resume my training for a spring-time marathon. And I’ll probably mix in a few Half Marathons along the way. Am thinking about two Half Marathons in early-2010 in Texas: Austin in February or El Paso in March.

Suggestions for 2010 runs? I’m listening.

And please don’t mention a triathlon. I’ve already been given that challenge, but have politely rejected it, at least so far.

Hope everyone has a great holiday season and terrific 2010. If you’ve ever even remotely thought about running a marathon, make it a resolution for 2010. You can do it! As I’ve said literally hundreds of time, I NEVER, EVER thought in my wildest imagination that I would be able to finish a marathon.

And yet the Honolulu Marathon on Sunday, Dec. 13, will be my seventh in just over two years. Yep, I first ran the Florence (Italy) Marathon on Sunday, Nov. 25, 2007. So it’s seven marathons over 749 days – and I feel great.

Best wishes,

Ross.

1 comment:

Robin said...

Aloha Ross!

Hope you have a great race and exceed your personal goal. You're turning out to be quite the "Ironman" yourself!

All the best & much aloha,

Robin