Monday, July 16, 2007

On The Run - July 16, 2007

By Ross Forman

 

I ran three miles on July 14, simply for a time to be placed in a new pace-group on my road to the Florence 2007 Marathon on Nov. 25 as part of the National AIDS Marathon Training Program.

 

I finished the run along Lake Michigan in just over 32 minutes, though it actually would have been a drop under 32 had I not gotten lost amid construction on the path. So finishing in a 10:30-minute pace, I now will be in the 12-minute training pace-group from here on out, named by the NAMTP for Alberto Salazar, the charismatic runner who won three consecutive New York City Marathons in the early 1980s.

 

Next I'll be doing 5-miles, then 7, then 8, and slowly and steadily increasing my distances over the next few weeks and months.

 

I felt great after the three-mile run. No soreness in my previously-injured right ankle. I also didn’t have any problems with my stamina. And, having already run longer distances, the coming weeks should be fun. Wait, did I just say running these distances will be fun?

 

Well, they’re not really fun. But meeting the other runners and NAMTP staff and coaches has been enjoyable. There’s guys and girls, young and old, athletes and, uh, not-your-typical-athletes. Everyone out there on Saturday mornings along the lakefront is supportive and motivating. There are those who train in an 8:30-minute pace-group and they just look like athletes or career runners. Then there are those who train at the 18:30-minute pace-group. Those in the latter group are really motivating, more than those in the former … if they can do it, I can do it.

 

            The ultimate drive of the NAMTP is to raise funds for the AIDS Foundation of Chicago. I’m thrilled to say I’m well on my way to my goal of $3,900, but now I’d like to surpass a top NAMTP fund-raising total from last year. So, if you’re thinking of helping the AIDS Foundation through my running, I’d be grateful, especially since I’m now driven to raise $8,012. So, please go to my website (www.firstgiving.com/rossruns) and help the AIDS Foundation of Chicago while I run to Florence.  Thanks,

 

Ross.

 

            Ross Forman (shown above in his favorite running shirt) can be reached at: Rossco814@aol.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ross, you're my Hero!  I'm very proud of you and wish you all the best on your quest.

My Aunt Pam and I are looking forward to seeing you in September!

Warmest regards,

Robin
Girl-Jock in Charge